Riverhills Riverhills  
No Soliciting Program
Login | Register
  About Riverhills
  Our Location
  Contact Us
  Meeting Minutes
  Design Guidelines
  Security Information
  Important Contact Information
  Resident Directory
  Upcoming Events
  Photo Gallery
  No Soliciting Program
  Helpful Links

No Soliciting, No Handbills Sign Program

Due to the influx of solicitation and unwanted handbills in our neighborhood, the Riverhills HOA has decided to adopt a “No Soliciting, No Handbills” Sign Program, similar to many other local Homeowner Associations. In order for the program to be effective, our goal is for all residents to participate in the program.
Program Information

The program began in April 2015, to address concerns expressed by residents. The program is a proactive approach to eliminate both types of activities in our neighborhood and to ensure residents’ security and privacy. The signs are available to all Riverhills residents, who wish to display the sign at their residence. 

We have ordered signage for you to place at the entrance of your home. Please note, that you must only use the approved Riverhills signage and not one of your own. 
Sign Location

Please place the sign in a location visible from the street. Suggested placement is in the landscaping beds at the entrance of your home. Please understand that, due to freedom of speech laws, the signs do not apply to those soliciting for charitable organizations, political causes, or for the expression of religious beliefs. While these activities are protected by the City of Fort Worth ordinance, most of the time the sign still “works”.
Report Violations

Please note that the sign will not prevent ALL solicitation or handbill distributions. For the program to effectively work residents must report violations. Please report violations to the Riverhills HOA via email at RiverhillsHOA@cassco.com. The Riverhills HOA will follow the proper protocol to prevent the offender from returning to our neighborhood. The Riverhills HOA will also retain a running-list of offenders to identify repeat offenders if necessary. 
How to Handle Soliciting Violations

Ask the solicitor to see their City of Fort Worth soliciting permit. Do not ask if they have one, ask to see it. If the solicitor does not have one, close the door and call 911 with a description of the solicitor.
If the solicitor has a permit, obtain whatever identifying information they have and inform them that they are in violation of a City of Fort Worth ordinance because you have a sign posted. Then call the non- emergency police number at 817-392-4222 and provide as many details of the violation as possible. If you feel that you are being pressured or threatened, please call 911.
How to Handle Handbill Violations

Typically handbills are delivered by companies providing a “service” for a fee within a demographic area that is highly desirable. It is important that not only the delivery people understand the penalties involved in sign violation, but also the advertiser. They need to understand that their product will NOT be delivered in our neighborhood and, should it be delivered in violation of the city ordinance, they are liable for the fines. (Which can be up to $500 per residence).

After a violation has been reported with the Riverhills HOA, we will call the advertising company and inform them of the violation. We will encourage them to educate their employees or service provider to recognize and respect our signs. A map of the Neighborhood and a picture of the sign to assist in this training will also be emailed. We also advise them of the penalties they will incur if continued violations are cited.

You are, of course, welcome to contact the advertiser and voice your own complaint. This can also be an effective method. Often they will ask for your address so that you can be put on their “no delivery” list. We recommend against doing this. Simply repeat that the signs are throughout the neighborhood and that they need to be sensitive to all of them.
If You Would Like to Escalate Violations

If you would like to escalate repeat violations, you may call the non-emergency police phone number at 817-392-4222. Inform them that you would like to make a report regarding a repeat offense. An officer will call you back to make the report. It is a good idea to photograph and date the materials, especially if the sign is within the same photo. Also, retain any posted materials. After making the report over the phone, it will be issued to a detective. In turn, the detective will contact the violator and may issue a citation. If a citation is issued, the complainant/homeowner’s name and address will be written on the back of the citation as a “witness” and mailed back to the violator.

If the violator pleads “not guilty,” it will be set for court and all parties involved (cited and complainant) will have to show up for the proceedings and state his/her case. If the complainant does not make the court date, the citation will be dismissed.

Please only use the escalation process if you intend to show up for the court hearing. Otherwise you are wasting the police and court resources! The complaining party MUST appear. The neighborhood association cannot send a representative on your behalf.